Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The "Grey Area"

I've always been a person who sees things as black and white, right or wrong, or left and right (you get the point). The grey area has always been an uncomfortable place for me. I don't know what to expect or what will happen in this area. As the oldest child and a self proclaimed "perfectionist," I always have to know what to expect or how everything will play out. If I do something, I have to follow certain steps. Certainly I won't get there if I don't follow every single step, right?

Wrong.

I have learned that this mindset holds me back. It keeps me from finding the courage to take the next step in life. I think it is that way for other people too. Can anyone else out there relate?

Why do many of us feel the need to "play by the rules" and follow the recipe that life has given us? I think that doing so has given many of us a great sense of security, but often that sense of security is false. I can't tell you how many times I have followed everything from steps A-Z only to see that security doesn't exist and I have also wasted time in the process.

I'm not telling you to go out and lie, cheat, or steal in life to get ahead. What I am telling you to do is think outside of the box. If you feel like you need to have a degree before you can truly get started with what you love in life, look at ways to self study and get some practical experience. You can volunteer or even help a friend. If you want to start on a new venture, don't feel like you have to do hours of countless reading and research to start small (I am guilty of this). Read up on those things you are unsure about and get out there and get that hands on experience.

We will all make mistakes and we will all fail. That is what is so scary about the grey area. Fear of failure holds us back. I challenge you to just start doing what you love. Learn from your mistakes. Those mistakes will be the best lessons of all and you won't read about them in a textbook or during your countless hours of research.

Step out. Be smart. Take a chance. Walk around in the grey area. You may be surprised at what you learn and at how far you will go.

No comments:

Post a Comment