Friday, February 15, 2013

What I learned by going vegetarian

Growing up as an Oklahoma girl, my meals were always very meat heavy. Fried chicken, meatloaf, pork chops, sausage - you get the point. My eating habits were very focused on meat and I could eat large portions of meat and even go for seconds!

I started gaining weight in my early 20s and was almost at 200 pounds. I lost weight by working out but never really cut back my portions. I realized I still had a very "meat-centric" mentality. I hardly ate vegetables and really didn't even like many of them. When my husband and I started dating, I tried to give up meat for a little bit but I always went back.

Finally last fall, I watched a few documentaries that grossed me out to the point that I couldn't even touch a piece of meat! (that is for another blog). This was the fuel I needed to finally cut meat seriously down (and practically out) to find other sources of protein and eat more vegetables.

I started trying everything - beans, lentils, spinach, cabbage, cauliflower, tofu - you name it and I tried it! Most of it I liked and I even started craving. I started to feel better and have more energy. I thought all along it was because I cut out the meat.

The truth is - it is not because I cut out the meat.

It is because I was finally getting the nutrients my body needed that it had been missing by focusing on a diet so heavy in meat.

I also started cutting way back on cheese. I always felt sluggish when I ate foods heavy in meat and cheese and now I have more energy since eating more vegetables. It wasn't the meat's fault; it was my limited diversity in food.

With this realization, I decided that I could slowly start incorporating meat back in to my meals again. Not in huge,disgusting portions like before - but in smaller portions. My plate will still be mostly veggies and whole grains and it won't be every single day.

Now I love all types of foods. I feel like I am closer to finding that place where I can have diversity in my foods, have better health, and also limit my meat portions. It has been a learning process for me and my family, and it has been a great one at that!

I would recommend anyone take this challenge - even if it is just cutting out meat from your meals a few times a week. Find alternatives and experience new things. Your body and health will thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment