Tuesday, March 19, 2013

The Biggest Loser: there's more to transformation

Every season that I watch the reality show "The Biggest Loser," I can't help but be moved by it. I know - it's a REALITY SHOW - so I often question the reality of it. Bottom line - we can't deny the underlying premise of the show.

Underneath every contestant there - something is hidden. Personal struggles always come out in to the light and the contestants become vulnerable. Their emotions and physique become a public display during weigh-ins, workouts, and talks with the trainers. At some point in the show, most of the contestants face their fears and struggles and find a way to place each one into their workouts and healthy choices.

That vulnerability word is scary. I can't even imagine what each one of these people may be thinking before going on the show, because they know they will be forced to face their demons. Maybe they think they don't have demons? Maybe they are there because they believe that only their physical appearance and health need total transformations?

As a person who used to be overweight and has often turned to food for comfort, I know that there is more to the transformation than the physical. I believe that the time spent in the gym is as great of therapy as it is for your health. I know that there are times that people are more likely to turn to food than other times. Trust me, I am still working on me  - but knowing that a great workout or a healthy meal will instantly turn my mood and my outlook around is enough to keep me going.

I started this journey about six years ago at one of the most difficult times in my life. I took out my anger and frustration on my workouts (and I still do). I found making my meals at home and planning for most of them gave me a way to take control of a situation I felt like I didn't control. I broke down. I cried. I saw changes. I kept going.

Wherever you start this journey or wherever it leads you, please remember that we are all facing demons of some sort. It's not about identifying and fixing your troubles with exercise - it's about finding a healthy place to transfer your negative - and positive - energy. It is also about being vulnerable and allowing yourself to see that this is a decision for your health and could save your life physically, emotionally, and mentally.



No comments:

Post a Comment