Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Journey

Patience. This is a word I have always struggled with. I am not incapable of being patient, I just get fired up about certain dreams and I want them to happen. Now. No waiting. Let's just make it happen!

Many times, my "go get 'em" attitude seems very unrealistic. I am the type of person who will do what it takes to get to where I need to be and sometimes I don't really stop to think things through or enjoy the view from where I am at during a specific point in time.

As a kid, I always wanted to be the best and I wanted it right away (who am I kidding - I am still this way). I remember my mom telling me that good things come to those who wait, but waiting....isn't that the painful part?

There are a few areas in my life right now that I have approached that yield sign: namely my career and finances. While neither situation is horrible or unbearable, I still want to be at my five year goal NOW. I have had to step back and realize that the lesson is in the journey. I am learning all of the things that I want in a career by learning what I don't want and I am also learning the value of budgeting and using cash instead of credit. If I look at this last year, I would say that I have done a 180 in both departments.

The ironic thing about all of this is that about three years ago, I was perfectly content with my career and finances but wanted a family. I finally have that. Soon I will be marrying a man who is perfect for me and we have two wonderful girls. I was patient. I let life happen and didn't rush where I was at that point in my life where we met. I learned something. So, given how blessed I am in those areas right now, I am willing to stop and enjoy the view where I am at. 

Perspective. It's amazing, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment