Friday, May 25, 2012

Beat Emotional Eating Challenge

Hi. My name is Heather and I am an emotional eater.

Yes, you heard it right. How many of you would say the same? I wonder how many others join me on this difficult struggle when picking up a candy bar or indulging in our favorite foods when upset becomes a knee jerk reaction? How many of us use food as a coping mechanism to escape the daily pressures of parenting, work issues, and just overall heartache and drama?

At first, I did not want to admit that I emotionally eat. I started watching my behaviors when I was upset. Mexican food and chocolate top the list of my "run-to's" every time. I was doing so good for so long, but a few situations and people set me off every now and then and sent me spiraling back into that pattern.

I let them win. I let food win. It hurts to say that.

I don't go on several day eating binges, but I dislike it when I do it for a day or two. Not only am I disappointed in myself, but I feel gross. I feel lethargic. I let the food win. I become weak.

For all of you who join me with this struggle, I am going to present a challenge to you. Every time you feel like picking up a food that will initially make you "feel good," don't eat it. Instead, write down the emotion and the food you want in a journal. Track it. Also, jot down your surroundings when this occurs. If you do eat it, still write down all of this information and also include how you feel.

I am going to start doing this, not only to identify the connection but also to allow myself to "think" before I eat. When I am purposeful before I put food in my mouth, hopefully it will all start to make sense.

The kicker? I am going to do it right here on this blog under a "Beat Emotional Eating" challenge. This isn't just for moms, but anyone who struggles with this same problem. Feel free to join me by commenting and inviting others to share right here on this blog.

Will you join me in sharing your struggles and successes? It won't be easy, but it will certainly be eye opening.

This is so difficult for me to admit, but I want to do it. I want change. Maybe there is a chance we can beat this weakness together. I believe.



No comments:

Post a Comment