Sunday, July 8, 2012

Mommy Guilt - Part Deux

Yesterday, I did something I never imagined I would do.

I *gasp* took my daughter to daycare on a Saturday!

The opportunity sounded enticing since her daycare only does this one Saturday a month. I made her reservation three weeks ago and struggled with the decision for a majority of that time. My husband would be home sleeping from working all night and my stepdaughter would be with her mom.

Wow. Think of how much I could get done!

Shame on me! Why did I think that? I thought of how much she would miss me and how I was betraying her. I felt like a horrible mom.

I am in the midst of taking on extra projects in addition to my full time work. It's work that I enjoy, but the payments I make will go straight to our debt so we can get our family out of debt faster. A future of complete freedom is in sight and this is continuously pushing us forward.

The truth is, I got more done yesterday than I had in a long time. Since my husband's schedule is crazy when he works nights and weekends, I rarely have time to focus on anything for an extended period of time due to my own work schedule and the kids. I was so productive with my own time yesterday because I knew I had very little of it. It was an amazing lesson for me!

When I picked up my daughter, I couldn't wait. I had missed her terribly, but felt very relaxed from all that I accomplished and even had some time to go to the gym while she was there.

The beauty of it all? She survived. She was in a great mood from playing with her friends all day and I was in a great mood because I had completed so much, and now I could focus on spending my time with her.

So mommies - take it from me. It's not all bad to have someone care for your child while you enjoy a little time or take time to work on projects you love.

Ultimately, you are doing what is best for your family and only you can determine what that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment