Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Mommy Guilt

Okay moms. You all know we have it.

This morning, I was lacing up my shoes to go for a run when my husband came down with our 14 month old who had just woken up.

"Crap." I thought to myself. I had hoped to run and be back before she even woke up just so that adorable smile didn't twist the knife before I left to take some time for me.

She was ecstatic to see me and she was (of course) absolutely adorable. I gave her a snuggle and thought for a minute that I should spend time with her and not go.

"No." My hubby said. "You go - she will be fine." (Have I mentioned how wonderful he is?)

So, I went for a run and it felt wonderful. I shook the mommy guilt the minute my shoes hit the pavement and I realized that she wouldn't miss me much for those 30 minutes because she was with daddy.

This is just one instance of mommy guilt. The whole concept is new to me, but I still struggle with it daily. Other moms tell me not to have it, but I wonder if they are trying to convince me or themselves.

All I can say is that we cannot be there all of the time and be everything to everyone. If we lose our identity and quit doing the things we love, we will eventually stumble into martyr-ville. I don't want to visit there - ever.

Will the mommy guilt ever go away completely? Probably not. But if we don't take the time for ourselves to re-charge, then we will suffer from guilt at getting short-tempered with the kids.

It's always something, isn't it?

Don't feel guilty about those times you want to take for yourself. You and your family will appreciate it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure how old your other kids are, or if you have more then just the little one, but it was my experience that mommy guilt seemed to fade quite a bit when I started taking enough time for myself and when my kids got a little older. My mom always said that if you don't take care of yourself you can't possibly take care of the kids--it's like dishing out from a pot of soup and never adding more broth of veggies--eventually the pot dries up. I totally agree that we should always take time for ourselves as mommies! ;-)

    ReplyDelete