Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Homeschooling

Over the course of the past few months, I have been learning about homeschooling and all it has to offer. I don't know everything, but what I found definitely interests me.

I used to think that a public school education was necessary for every child to gain social skills needed to function in society. I also thought that children would generally excel in a group environment of learning, but what I have learned has really opened my new mind to thoughts and ideas on the topic.

According to a few moms on the Simple Mom podcast, their homeschool activities take about three hours a day. The other hours of the day, the child spends exploring his or her natural interests in a highly creative and encouraging environment. Does your child love to play with legos and build things? What about music? Think about all of the options available in a home setting with time to explore that he or she would not have in the classroom.

As a parent, it is our job to encourage and support children in whatever they are interested in. I remember being told as a child that I would never be good at math because I was a girl. I think this type of discouragement is ultimately damaging. In a homeschool environment, a parent would (hopefully) never tell his or her child this.

I started thinking about family trips that could be a learning adventure. Exploring caves, camping, and searching for shells on the beach. It can all be integrated into the curriculum. I would have the opportunity to be a part of my daughter's education. I love the thought of more time with her and getting to see her develop as a person. There are so many amazing programs and virtual groups out there that encourage get-togethers, so homeschooled children would have social interaction with one another. Technology has allowed homeschooling to take on a life of its own.

I am reaching out to other parents for thoughts and advice on this topic. How do you think homeschooling could encourage your children? Do you see it as an advantage or disadvantage? Why?

I am just jumping into this vast pool of knowledge, and look forward to what I can learn along the way. My daughter is only 14 months old, but the more I learn now - the best choice I can make for our family later.



No comments:

Post a Comment