Tuesday, April 17, 2012

When Things Don't Go as Planned....

I have always been a planner. I don't know why or how I was built this way. I have to have things a particular way at a particular time, or it really irritates me. I can't "go with the flow" or "accept things as they come." I never have been able to.

Trust me, I have tried to change my viewpoint on this! I've been given advice such as "just be" or "go with the flow" more times than I can count. As moms, I think a lot of us have a hard time when schedules are shifted or plans change unexpectedly because of the logistics required to get our families back on track. We feel like we are constantly swimming in a sea of deadlines and expectations with no one to bring us to shore.

If you are the same way, don't let anyone tell you that you are wrong or that you need to change your viewpoint. It's all really about how you handle the situation when it occurs. It is okay to be upset or bothered by something, but the key is what you learn from it. If I am running late all of the time, maybe I need to take more time to prepare the night before. If I find myself constantly wondering what is for dinner, maybe I need to jot down a recipe and ingredients required once a day until I have next week's list.

There's nothing wrong about being particular with what you want and how you want it. Personally, I think structure is a good thing. It is all about how you handle the fallout. Do you give up or do you learn from it? That is the key question.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great tip -- If I find myself constantly wondering what is for dinner, maybe I need to jot down a recipe and ingredients required once a day until I have next week's list.

    Thanks mama! <3

    ReplyDelete