Thursday, March 29, 2012

What Other People Think

I used to care a lot about what other people thought about me. From my appearance to my beliefs, I cared way too much.

There were times I used to "primp" twice in one day just to look perfect for an event after working. By working, I mean sitting at a desk all day and not exerting any type of physical energy except typing. I would completely wash my face and my hair and waste hours getting ready just to look "perfect." These days, time is so precious that such an idea is just unfathomable.

Then there were times I would not express my opinions or my thoughts because I knew others wouldn't agree. I would sit in silence and nod, even when I didn't agree with the viewpoints. People would make comments about how I update Facebook too much or that I talked a lot, and I would delete a status or just not participate in conversations.

I think suppressing the real "YOU" is painful. Don't get me wrong, I believe it is important to consider the opinions of others, but I don't believe it should stop YOU from expressing yourself. I don't think that a single hair that is out of place or eyeshadow that has worn off will fail to impress the people who truly matter.

What price are you paying to be concerned about what others think of you? The price tag may be your authenticity.

It's just not worth it.

3 comments: