Sunday, March 18, 2012

Meal Planning Trumps Couponing Every Time

As a mom who cares about nutrition and healthy eating, I have found couponing a bit disappointing. I know it's all the hype these days, and it can be fun when you find a good deal. Don't get me wrong, there are lots of great household coupons out there, but finding some for the foods we eat is nearly impossible. A few weeks ago, my family decided to cut back on processed food significantly. Our diet is clean and now consists of fresh meats, seasonings, whole grains, and tons of produce. You'll rarely find coupons to fit this lifestyle.

In these past few weeks, I have shifted the energy that I spent coupon hunting to going through clean eating cookbooks and magazines to plan meals. Clean eating can be expensive, but it doesn't have to be. I have watched produce and meat sales at stores and try to plan around those. I have been able to stay within our budget while planning out our dinners for the week. I also plan for plenty of leftovers and high protein snacks throughout the day to keep my metabolism churning.

The girls really have enjoyed trying new things. My boyfriend, David, and I have both lost some weight. I feel better physically and mentally. The best thing about it is that I LOVE planning! I found a new love for meal planning and cooking that I never thought was there.

If you think you don't have time to plan healthy meals, I would say that you don't have time NOT to. A few hours of planning and shopping on the weekend sets you up for success during the week. You won't be tempted to go through the drive through or pick up a pizza if you already know what meal you are planning to cook that evening. So, try it out! Share the fun with your partner by picking out meals that each of you can cook throughout the week. If you currently spend hours every weekend couponing, I challenge you to shift your energy towards scouring cookbooks and planning healthy meals. Plan with your family. Make a database of all of your favorite recipes. It's both fun and educational!

If you are not sure where to start, I am including a link that a few friends sent me that has more information on clean eating (and it also includes some easy recipes too). You can always start with a little research and try a few new meals. I promise that it is worth the time and effort!

http://www.eatcleandiet.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment